For most of my media pieces, I’m hoping I’ll be able to provide thorough walkthroughs of how I went about making them. I’ve been putting everything together in galleries since sometime in week 2, since I tend to take a lot of screenshots as I go and I don’t want to take up too very much space on a blog that already has font problems. (I have a lot to say about my font in my final summary.)
This one wasn’t on the list of required media, but I wanted to add another visual element as “proof” that my cat was a time traveler. For a 1 star assignment, I had a lot of trouble with it, but that’s probably my own fault. Using the Stereogranimator was frustrating, but I was too stubborn to give up. Like the Visual, the base for this GIF was made using Paint.net.
The mistake I made was uploading only a single image of my cat to the website instead of the side-by-side image – what it created was a horrible monstrosity. I was so confused about what I had done wrong until I looked at other images that were on the site. I’m glad it gives you the option to make your own changes to stereograms that already exist, like this one. I didn’t know what the heck I was supposed to upload that would work until I saw what the parts were supposed to look like.
I want this video to immediately stop existing and be erased from anyone’s memory as soon as they’re done looking at it. I spent a long time on it, but oh my god does it look like I made it in 5 minutes. Honestly though, the worst and most time-consuming part of it was waiting for all the videos I took to sync to my google photos. The second most time-consuming was definitely cutting out all those freaking wormhole dealies. This… thing… was made with Windows Movie Maker.
This one I had a lot of fun with. It might not really sound like anything – the only knowledge I really have of soundscapes is through a joke on The Office. I think mine ended up more like a song, but I tried to have it tell a little story. The journey starts with a meow!, goes on as you pass by some big ol’ space things, and then something funky happens and time starts to warp. A for effort, right?
Anyway, this was done using Audacity and an enormous number of clips from Freesound.org. I’ll link them below the gallery.
Very time consuming, for some reason. Despite the entire right-hand side of the paper, I like how this one turned out. For this assignment I ended up having to use both Paint.net as well as GIMP (for an early step). A lot of the line art is from The Noun Project.
The rest of the work was very much like the 7th and 8th images where I worked on filling out the body of the newspaper. I tried to come up with a good “in-story” reason for why the newspaper is crooked – so I included a snippet about my cat declaring that all ancient cats had always preferred crooked newspapers. At least they make good use of the extra space!