Cat: Portrait of a Troublemaker.

For the second gif assignment this week, I chose to do a sticky note animation. I have fun making little animations in the flipnote app on my 3DS, but it’s been a long time since I’ve actually made a real flipbook. I’m gonna go ahead and show you the finished product right away, because OH BOY do I have a LOT to say about the process of this one. I had some trouble, to say the least. BIG frowny face!

View post on imgur.com

I knew the entire time that I wanted to make a cat-related gif. All the animations I’ve made in flipnote have been cats. This is one I’m particularly proud of… it’s not the greatest in the world (I’m no artist) but I think it’s cute.

I love my cat. I love every cat we’ve ever had, but they’ve all done this same thing. As soon as they think they’ll get away with it, they start scratching whatever they want. It could be the arm of a sofa, the leg of a table, or literally just the wall. One of our sofas is totally frayed on one side because of the cat, and can you guess what’s sitting right next to that sofa? A freaking scratching post. Why are they like this? They love destruction.

The process for this started simple, as you’d expect. It’s kind of embarrassing, but it took some getting used to plain old pencil-and-paper drawing again. When I made a mistake, my left hand kept trying to go “Ctrl+Z.” Undo!!! Wait, erase!!!

I then took photos of each individual sticky note, which would create the frames of my gif. I emailed the photos to myself so I’d have them waiting for me on my laptop, where I opened them all up in Paint.net (my go-to editing software, even though it’s not the best) to crop and resize them. Once I had them all the size that I wanted, I again followed the DS106 Wiki‘s guide for making gifs.

Despite the help I found online regarding frame duration, the¬†edits I made to each individual frame, and how good it looked in the preview, when I exported the gif and uploaded it… it looked like this.

View post on imgur.com

I was VERY displeased. I had spent a lot of time editing each frame’s duration, and none of it ended up taking. Blech. So what I ended up doing is probably kind of extreme. What should have been a 14 frame gif is now something like 50 frames. To make the frames that I wanted to last longer, well,¬†longer, I just inserted duplicates.